Wednesday, February 15, 2006

shawl progress

As members of my fan club may remember, I'm knitting the Fir Cone Square Shawl from Folk Shawls in some 1/14 cashmere from ColourMartUK in the colour "Everglades". (google will show you a couple of finished shawls) The most wonderful Trillian42 made a spreadsheet for me so I could see how far through I am. So far I have been averaging about 8% a day, which is just right if I expect to have time to block this beastie.

The shawl starts as a simple square; stitches are picked up from around the outside and is knit in the round from there. It's finished with a short little edging.
This is the center fir cone pattern -


And about 20 rounds past picking up the stitches around the outside -


extreme close-up of the row of picked-up stitches, eyelet round, and inner border lace pattern 1, with bonus turtlegirlicious stitch marker! Stitch markers every pattern repeat would be excessive, but I keep 4-5 every side just to keep myself on track.

Yarn notes - this yarn was bought on a cone, all oiled for machine knitting. It's not too troublesome to knit with, but a bit different. I have to keep fondling my washed swatch to remind myself what it will become. It's also single-ply, which accounts for some of the twisting shown in the pictures; I haven't knit with many single-ply laceweights before, so I'm not quite sure what I think about it. Stay tuned. By now I have over 700 stitches per round, so it'll be slow going and not much to blog. The next 40 rounds account for about 40% of the knitting - oy!

6 Comments:

Blogger Trillian42 said...

Looking good, girl! Can't wait to see it as it continues to progress!

4:48 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

I just want to know where we sign up for the fan club. 'Cause I totally have not been informed.


And the shawl is looking gorgeous. I don't know how you do it. I'm over here feeling pretty good about getting 5 rows of 170 stitches done in an evening (okay, that's fairly lame) and well, I just think you're an amazing knitter. Thus the previous question about the fan club. Oh, the mush! I'll stop now.

2:20 AM  
Blogger littlegoat said...

wow. I am impressed. That's some serious knitting.

Beautiful!

5:21 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

My goodness, I'm impressed! That is so beautiful and intricate!

8:56 PM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

Ooh isn't it lovely. You really do knit some fabulous lace!

8:04 AM  
Blogger reluctantMANGO said...

Ooooh, I can tell it's going to be breathtaking! Once again I am humbled by your lace skills (and speed)!

6:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home