Friday, February 10, 2006

A late intro

I was remiss and have not yet introduced myself to the group. My name is Darcy, I'm in Cleveland, and I've set my Olympic goal as my first ever self-designed sweater. I think I might be in over my head.

I knit sample swatches ahead of time, and I had planned to go ahead and do the math/planning ahead also (figure skaters plan their routines ahead of time, right?), but that didn't happen. So at 2pm (that's the starting time, right?) I sat down to plan in earnest with my nice washed swatches. So far so good.

But the sweater designing resource I had been planning to use, well, I started to feel that perhaps it was somewhat lacking, so I had gotten a couple books out of the library that I've seen referenced in Knitty, and I'm reading them, but I think I might be having a case of two many cooks spoiling my mental soup. So I went to make chocolate pudding for solace, and the pudding and I are both taking some time to cool off.

I can tell you that I am using Noro Cash Iroha in a lovely dark teal color, and that I'm planning to use size 5 needles (which I realize may mean I am completely crazy to think I will get this done in time, but I'm going to try), and that I'm going to incorporate this lovely springing cable from The Pattern Library's Traditional Knitting book that I got for Christmas when I was a kid. I've wanted to make something with this cable in it for 20+ years, and I'm finally doing it. Here is a picture of the cable swatch.

I'd like it to be either scoopy or boat necked and somewhat form fitting (the fabric is lovely and soft, so I want it right on my skin). I'd like to use seed stitch for the wrist, waist and neck trim. I may or may not use another cable to frame this one (I swatched one that is very basic but has an elongated straight stretch between pairs of twists). Basically, I am still at sea.

I hope that everyone else's projects are off to a more auspicious start!

3 Comments:

Blogger Bonnie said...

Hi Darcy. Your swatch looks great. That's a beautiful color. I'm doing a self-designed vest with a center cable, so I'll cheer you along. Are you knitting in the round? I am, using a US6 circular and worsted weight yarn (Knit Picks Wool of the Andes).

Good luck!

3:22 PM  
Blogger Trillian42 said...

What a gorgeous color - and a nifty cable pattern! Can't wait to see further progress!

6:09 PM  
Blogger morbidflight said...

That's a gorgeous cable, and a beautiful teal. Much luck with the sweater; I'm sure you'll love the finished project.

4:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home