Monday, February 13, 2006

Back to the Drawing Board

Having done about 5 inches of my center-cable vest (in the round on a circ), I decided it was time to slip half the stitches on another needle so I could try it on. Good thing I did! It was too large, and once I checked my gauge I could see why: in my swatch (also knit in the round, but on dpns) my gauge was 4.5, almost 4.75 st/inch. But in the actual vest, I was getting just under 4.5 st/inch. On top of that, the yarn is really quite stretchy (Knit Picks WOTA). So, I frogged it.

I worked out the math for a better fit based on 4.25 st/inch. So I'm all set to cast on again tomorrow morning. I may also revise the overall design, maybe throw in some garter stitch rib in addition to the center cable, since the excessive stockinette was getting tres boring. That would probably help me get a better fit. I really don't want a baggy vest.

Or, I might totally abandon this vest idea and instead use the yarn for the Highland Triangle Shawl in Folk Shawls.

Clearly, I have to sleep on this!!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Darx said...

Hey, Bonnie, well, even with going back, you're still ahead of me. I cast on Friday around 8 pm, just so I could cast on during the first day of the Olympics, but wound up ripping out and recasting on, and I'm going to have to rip that out, too. I think my Olympic accomplishment might wind up being just creating the pattern. So, you're doing great! Go, Bonnie! Oh, and to break up my stockinette I'm doing a dotted stitch, purl bumps spaced about 8 rows and 8 stitches apart. I'll have to think, but not too much :)

3:57 AM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

Hi darx! In the true Olympic spirit, I cast on again for my vest this morning. I do think the first attempt being too large was a blessing in disguise, because I think my design change (garter stitch rib) is going to give it a better fit and be more interesting visually.

We'll see. I hope your next try goes well!!!!

6:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home